Following an unfortunate incident in the medical domain, Dispomed would like to remind you of the hazards of oxygen to protect the employees of your clinic.
It is important to understand the possible cause of explosion and fire. The friction between aluminum and oxygen pressure can create a spark which could, in turn, create a 1-2 feet flame. Aluminum can burn at a pressure as low as 25 psi, whereas brass doesn’t burn at pressure below 10,000 psi. Petroleum-based products are not recommended to use with oxygen as they are also prone to cause explosion or fire.
- Designate a key to be used to open the oxygen cylinder and ensure that it is used for this purpose only.
- Always wash your hands before changing the oxygen cylinder.
- Purchase regulators and cylinder holders made of brass.
- Make sure the gasket is correctly in place on small cylinders.
- Have the cylinder and the holder inspected every year.